Medicare Part B
The Medicare Part B insurance plan covers a one-time “Welcome to Medicare” visit during the first 12 months of coverage and a yearly wellness visit, if the patient’s physician or other qualified healthcare provider accepts assignment. If so, Part B deductible does not apply.
If the physician or healthcare provider performs additional tests or services during the same visit that are not covered under the preventive benefits, patients may have to pay coinsurance, and the Part B deductible may apply.
“Welcome to Medicare” Preventive Visit
What to Expect
- Medical and family history, current health conditions and medications will be recorded and evaluated
- Blood pressure, vision, weight and height will be checked and a baseline established for each.
- Body mass index will be checked and recorded.
- Screens will be performed for signs of depression
- Evaluation of needed screens and shots will be performed and if the patient’s general health and medical history warrants it, additional testing may be ordered. Patients receive a checklist of the additional free screenings and preventive services they need at the end of the appointment, along with education, counseling and referrals, as needed.
Patients should bring the following to their “Welcome to Medicare” preventive appointment:
- Thorough medical records, including immunizations
- Thorough family health history
- List of medications, including prescription and over-the-counter drugs, vitamins and supplements, frequency and dosage
Annual Wellness Visit
Medicare Part B medical insurance also covers a yearly wellness visit to develop or update a personalized prevention plan to prevent disease and disability based on the patient’s current health and risk factors.
What to expect at an annual wellness visit:
- Medical and family history review
- Current health status evaluation
- Height, weight and blood pressure check
- Body mass index test
- Medication list development or update
- Current provider list development or update
- Screening for cognitive impairment, depression and vision
- Screenings and immunization assessment (additional testing may be ordered)
- Screening checklist for needed screens, shots and preventive services
- Personalized health plan creation, including risk factors and treatment options for noted conditions
Patients complete a health risk assessment at the wellness appointment, and the physician will develop a personalized prevention plan based on the answers to help the patient stay healthy.